Nutritious Nutella alternative
If you’ve ever dared to take a look at the ingredients list of the infamous Nutella jar, you know that hazelnuts are not the first on the list. It’s actually the third. After sugar and oil. Luckily, you can make an alternative in your own kitchen with just a few ingredients. And this recipe is not just healthy and nutritious; you also don’t have to give up on taste!
- 1½ cups of roasted and peeled hazelnuts
- ⅓ cup of plant-based milk
- 1 tbsp of melted coconut oil
- 2 tbsp of maple syrup or agave syrup
- 6 pitted Medjool dates
- ⅓ cup of cocoa powder
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp of salt
- Place the hazelnuts in a high-speed blender or a food processor. Blend on high speed for 5 minutes until a thin, consistent nut butter is formed. Stop occasionally to scrape down the sides. Allow the hazelnuts time to release their oil.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the blender and blend until everything is well incorporated.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge and keep fresh up to a week.
- Soak the Medjool dates in hot water to soften. This will make it easier to blend it to a smoother consistency.
- If you’re having difficulty getting the paste to a smooth consistency, try to add a little more coconut oil or milk.